Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default Terraced Houses

On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 10:38:05 PM UTC, JimK wrote:
sm_jamieson Wrote in message:
On Thursday, 14 March 2019 18:51:13 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
Why is the bit that usually has the kitchen and small back bedroom at a
lower level than the rest of the house? Was it just cost saving or was it
to so with roof construction

Good answers to this.

I also find the stair-related features interesting in these type of houses. Where you have high ceilings in the main part of the house and then the "tunnel" to the kitchen at the height of the stair-case dogleg (often only at door height).

Also sometimes the back offshoot second floor rooms (e.g. bathroom) are at the height of the staircase dogleg, and then a few more steps up to the landing. Where the offshoot has been added there was often originally a nice big window at the back of the house that was turned into a door when the offshoot was added.

It all comes down to shoehorning stuff into the relatively small footprint available for housing in this Green Land.

I like the Victorian house some family friends lived in. Under the stairs was to be found not the descending steps to a cellar, but another parallel staircase going up to some hidden servant rooms at a lower level than the main house.

Simon.

?Going up to a lower level?
Do you mean "out the back" in less lofty accomodation?
--

Ah, I should have said "at a lower level than the main house 1st floor". I don't know what was underneath the servant rooms - probably some kind of lower ground floor rooms.

Simon.