Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default New Induction Hob - CU Change Needed?

I've often wondered something about these hobs, do they have any inductive
effects, ie when switched off is there a pulse from the coil or whatever it
is?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Kevin H" wrote in message
New kitchen planning underway. Looks like we're going to replace a gas hob
with an induction hob requiring a 32A connection back to the CU (photo he
https://goo.gl/CGJfg3)

The CU is pretty old (1995 when the house was built). There is a spare
position but on the non-RCD protected side. I assume using this slot would
not be acceptable practice?

I've noticed that the current cooker is also on the non protected side of
the CU, and given there is a combined isolation switch/13A outlet next to
the cooker I was wondering if regardless of the need to add the induction
hob this alone should be a reason to update the CU, as that socket isn't
protected by the RCD? Ignore the water heater note - the immersion heater is
no longer connected.

A final question. Any reason not to use 10mm on the 10m run to the kitchen?
Hob and oven won't be sharing a circuit.