Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Craftsman TS Arbor Replacement - Going In Through The Side Works Fine

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 9:30:25 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 17:31:13 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 7:14:09 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 12:58:38 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

I think the fact that you R&R'd parts caused this issue. It is not
unusual for the blade to be somewhere else after a major parts replacement.
Since the days of assembly line and interchangeable parts that should
NOT happen.

In a perfect world, yes. In a world where the saw was built in ~1978
(by Emerson Electric) and the new arbor was bought in 2015, things could
have changed. In fact, things *did* change, as I showed with the old c-clip
version vs. new the e-clip version. The e-clip is thicker than the c-clip,
so something had to change to make it fit. I have no idea when that change
was made, but if it was changed because other users did the same thing that
I did, that may have taken a long time to be discovered. (I said *may*) It's
not inconceivable that by the time they made that change, the original
assembly line and process may have been long gone. (that's my point, BTW)

The "replacement parts" are "direct replacement" "upgraded" parts -
even from Emerson.

Upgraded means "different". Doesn't mean it doesn't fit/work, but it also
means that it's not identical. I guess you are trying to help me prove
my point.

1978 is not "old" equipment in the woodworking world.

Who said it was? I simply mentioned when the saw was built, when the arbor
was bought and the fact that they were different.

My last table saw was a Beaver made back in the late 40s or
early 50s. Any replacement parts I was able to source were identical,
bolt in parts. Even parts supplied by rockwell 50 years later.

That's nice. My part was not identical, even though it was sourced
from Sears, the same vendor that sourced the saw.

That said, I do think that the clip being pushed out caused some, if not all,
of the leftward movement, but I'm not willing to totally discount some change
due to the different manufacturing method.

I'd bet on 99.9+% of the difference.

If you don't think it was 100% of the difference, maybe, just maybe, the
remainder was caused by the replacement part. Thanks for helping me prove
my point again.

Since we can't really retrace all steps, some part of this will remain a mystery.

In any case, all inserts and sleds are fixed, the hole in the side of the
housing has been covered and the saw purred through the rip cuts required
for the "filler strips" for the sleds.

OP likely pushed the C clip out, as per his explanation, WAY back
before making his zero clearance inserts and sleds - before he got to
the point he knew his own strength and how tight things did NOT have
to be.