Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Terraced Houses

In article ,
Jim K.. wrote:
Rob Morley Wrote in message:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 18:51:10 GMT
DerbyBorn wrote:

Why is the bit that usually has the kitchen and small back bedroom at
a lower level than the rest of the house? Was it just cost saving or
was it to so with roof construction

Solid floor for the kitchen and suspended timber floor for the rest of
the house? Possibly to give the kitchen range somewhere solid and
fireproof to sit on?

and easier to mop out/make a mess in.

In my Victorian house, the kitchen range was in the kitchen, with a
suspended wood floor. At the end of the rear extension there was a
scullery, with a concrete floor. That room not big enough for a range.

--
*I have a degree in liberal arts -- do you want fries with that

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.