Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] tubeguy@myshop.com is offline

Default Why dont they seal LCD devices?

I've learned over the years that water destroys all LCD screens. Several
years ago, I had a pipe break in my house. Did considerable damage to
the house and other stuff, but it soaked a police scanner and a AM FM
radio nearby. The radio had an analog dial. I dried it well, and it
worked fine.

I dried the scanner too. The scanner turned on, but the LCD screen was
dead. That rendered the scanner useless. Aside from that, the speaker
was shot. Replacing the speaker was minor, but even if I could find a
replacement LCD, I am sure it would have been costly and difficult to
replace.

Eventually I found an identical scanner on ebay for probably less than
what a replacement LCD would have cost me.

I lost a cellphone outdoors. Weeks later I found it, after several rain
storms. The same with that. The LCD screen was dead. The phone appeared
to work, (made sounds), but without the screen it was useless.

I had a similar experience with a GPS, which got soaked.

Why dont they put some silicone sealer on the edges of those LCD
screens? Or something that will prevent water from getting into them?