Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Mending ceramics

"TimW" wrote in message
On 14/03/2019 17:52, TimW wrote:
I have knocked over a vase. It was cracked top to bottom and has now come
cleanly apart into two large pieces and one small triangle. They dry fit
nicely back together so I am going to attempt to glue them back how they
were.

Is superglue the way? Any tips? the white clay is 5mm wide and looks
quite porous. If I do the little piece first I will then have a broken
edge of about 750mm length to bond. Is it glue one side only and quickly
position? I am thinking rubber bands might hold it together. Is that what
professionals do? How do I clean off any smears or drips?

TW

thanks all for replies. I had to use what I could get in town to get the
thing back on the window cill before Mrs W comes back from her Mother's.
All the epoxies were marked SUPER FAST! 3 Minute Bonding!so they were no
good. Bought something called unibond 100% Power glue:
http://www.unibond.co.uk/en/diy-adhe...100--glue.html
The modern worl being what it is there was no indication of what type of
glue it actually is but it said ceramics and 30 minutes on it.

A loop of string tied to the right size was all that was needed to press
the two bits together. Mend seems good. Glue seems to harden into a stiff
clear gunge.

You'll still get bobbitted when she sees it as soon as she walks in the
door.