Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Welsh Paul Welsh is offline

Default 123-Reg hosting

On 16/03/2019 11:06, David wrote:

Does anyone in the group use 123-Reg for email

Not for POP/IMAP, just to forward domains I have with them to
mailboxes elsewhere

and if so have you been getting reports of emails sent to you
bouncing with an error code "550 - domain does not exist"!

emails were arriving ok yesterday, but two tests just now have not
arrived (but no bounces yet either)

Thanks for the reply. I also only use them for the same. I gather the
problem is affecting many users but I'm just trying to gauge how
widespread the problem is. To see bounces you'll have to use another
email account totally unrelated to 123-Reg, such as a Hotmail or Gmail
account.

I did contact them and they said it would take 24 to 48 hours to get the
Domain Servers updated and propagated through the internet! Fortunately
the domains I have with them are only for private emails, but that sort
of delay must be disastrous for businesses.

I don't think reg123 does anything more than publish the DNS records,
for me at least.

This can be seen using the command

nslookup -query=mx.

Looks fine for me.