Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default 123-Reg hosting

On 16/03/2019 10:43, David wrote:
Does anyone in the group use 123-Reg for email and if so have you been
getting reports of emails sent to you bouncing with an error code "550
- domain does not exist"!

TIA

David

I use them for domain hosting but MX the mail elsewhere.

My domains appear to be all theer.

if you have access to something linuxish try "dig mx yoordomain"

Or use one of the online remote dnslookup services

This error seems to crop up at random, and has nothing to do with
whether the domain actually exits.

Also worth noting that the domain it is often complaining about is the
*senders* domain.

So for example I have a filter setup in TB to auto forward some messages
to my colleague at an address on the same domain. That will get several
messages per day - all of which will forward ok.

Then out of the blue I will get a bounce back saying that my domain does
not exist. Which is "interesting" since I was sending the message to the
same domain, and it obviously managed to resolve it well enough to get
to the MX record in the first place!

--
Cheers,

John.