Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian-Gaff Brian-Gaff is offline

Default Smart meters - SMETS2 from today

I think a lot of it is corporate ignorance myself. Its been handled badly
and is now in such a mess its hard to expect anybody to know what the heck
is going on. I'm only interested when they can show me a talking remote unit
or a device I can look at with a phone or a pc. No point in making the
display several feet high, I still won't be able to read it!
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
[From BBC Radio 4 You and Yours]

In theory, from today, SMETS1 meters can no longer be installed - all new
installations should be the newer SMETS2 meters. This matters because the
SMETS1 meters (the bulk of smart meters currently installed) are insecure
in a number of ways, and you can't always continue using them as smart
meters if you change supplier (although that's got a little better than it
was).

However, the energy companies have a history of telling lies about smart
meters, and I wouldn't personally trust that no more SMETS1 meters will be
fitted.

Personally, I'm not interested until there's something in it for me.

--
Andrew Gabriel