Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Which coax is better?

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 03:23:53 -0500, wrote:

CB and low power ham radios use one type.

RG-58c/u

TV antennas use the other.

RG-6/u (usually good stuff)
RG-59a/u (which is garbage)

Both coax is about the same diameter and looks alike on the outside.

I use RG-6/u with F-connectors for EVERYTHING, whether it's 50 or 75
ohms. I also have a fair collection of Type-F to BNC or PL-259.
The mismatch loss is negligible:
https://www.qsl.net/n9zia/wireless/75_ohm_hardline.html

Please note that there are variations in RG-6/u quality varying from
Radio Shack junk to "satellite TV" grade with lower losses at 1GHz
frequencies. Some variations are more flexible than others, some have
a UV resistant jacket, and some use CCA (copper clad alumunium) which
is cheap junk. Caveat emptor.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558