Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Price of LED lightbulbs

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 15/03/2019 01:17, wrote:
On Thursday, 14 March 2019 20:07:37 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
On 13/03/2019 18:44, Brian Gaff wrote:

So for the old BC light holders what are the best value that do not
chuck
out more RF than light?

Poundland have a selection up to about 5.5W IIRC.
That seems to be the limit of what they can offer for a pound.

And as value goes, they're crap. I bought one, it lasted 1hr 40 minutes.
It ran so hot one of the LEDs was burnt.

The problem is again that often price and quality don't equate. I'm
currently staying with friends in for a short time in a different part of
the country to where I live. The local supermarket(s) here are selling a
brand of LED bulbs at 4x the price I can find the same brand at home from
various "discount" stores.

I'm not sure why a LED bulb costing £1 should necessarily be inferior. It
must have reached the stage now that the manufacturing costs of LED bulbs
is starting to reach that of manufacturing costs of filament bulbs and
they used to be on sale at much less than £1.

Thats just plain silly with the fancy bulbs like the Philips Hues.