Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PAT

On Thursday, 14 March 2019 22:52:37 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/03/2019 12:06, Terry Casey wrote:

There are some where the live chassis is accessible with a regular mark
one finger!

Loads of historic stuff hasn't a gnat's chance in hell of passing a PAT test. OTOH some was very progressive on safety.

Folk whose hobby is restoring vintage sets frequently complain
about the loss of rare items because most charity and second
hand shops refuse to accept them because they have no-one able
to PAT test them or simply because the mains lead has
red/black insulation, although it is perfectly legal on any
set built pre-1970, so these sets go to the tip instead.

Perhaps the solution is if that is your thing, to visit all the likely
shops and leave them a card saying if you get any donations of this kind
of kit, please let me know and I will come get it.

Generally thy won't do it as it leaves them liable.

NT

(or failing that, offer to do free PAT testing for them on the
understanding you can keep any "interesting" stuff that won't pass the
test).