Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PAT

On Thursday, 14 March 2019 19:36:57 UTC, Terry Casey wrote:
In article e5784359-80eb-490a-9440-60969b339866
@googlegroups.com, tabbypurr says...
On Thursday, 14 March 2019 12:06:57 UTC, Terry Casey wrote:
In article ff9a9243-3888-4584-8c76-a0cf3eea7a95

Let's see. Vintage radios and TVs using 'live chassis'
construction techniques, especially if the mains connection
was via a reversible plug/socket arrangement on the back of
the receiver.

that shouldn't change the live chassi issue, but the connectors are mostly not compliant - touchable live pins, no cordgrip. Can be bypassed.

Not in my experience.

The pins of the male connector don't protrude beyond the back
of the set which has a slot with just enough clearance for the
female connect to pass through so that the only time that the
pins are exposed is when the connector is removed.

I've not encountered a lot of connectors on the appliance, but IMLE they mostly failed.
Some had bare pins sticking out, though a lot were as you say shrouded. Shrouded connectors were frequently touchable live when part-way in.
Bulgins were usually unscrewable without a tool, so require a mod to stop that

And that circa 1910 hotplate? It had 3 sticking out pins connected to differing points of the element. The mains lead had 3 separate 1 pole sockets on.. The power level depended on which pins the L&N sockets were pushed onto. The remaining pin was of course live. Hopefully you pushed the socket on the 3rd green wire onto it, and didn't foolishly connect it to earth in the plug. Of course there was no earth conection on the hotplate. But even with all 3 connectors on you could still touch the live bits.

I've vever come acros a connector without a cord grip (usually
moulded serrations in both sides so that the flat flex is
firmly clamped when the fiving screw is tightened.

I've seen tons of old mains connectors that lacked an effective cordgrip. It's a frequent problem

Uninsulated control spindles so that, if the felt washer
between the knob and cabinet is missing, a fine probe in the
gap could come into contact with the potentially live spindle,
depending on the design of the knob. If the knob isn't secured
by an inaccessible strong spring clip, the securing grub screw
can also be contacted with a suitable probe.

Fit felt washer, cut one if necessary. A soft epoxy resin over the set screw.

I was thinking of a drop of molten candle wax!

not robust enough

NT

At the rear, again a sutable probe through the ventilation
slots could contact the chassis or other live parts.

as long as it's not touchable. If it is, affix plastic netting.

But would any of these result in a PAT fail?

the connector usually

No, for the reason I stated above