Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Terraced Houses

On 14/03/2019 20:18, Robin wrote:
On 14/03/2019 20:01, Steve Walker wrote:
On 14/03/2019 19:06, Robin wrote:
On 14/03/2019 18:51, DerbyBorn wrote:
Why is the bit that usually has the kitchen and small back bedroom at a
lower level than the rest of the house? Was it just cost saving or
was it
to so with roof construction

I take it by "lower" you mean "lower ceilings".Â* And I've been led to
believe that results from the "back additions" being (a) not visible
from the road and (b) not where visitors were entertained.Â* Hence it
would have been a waste to build them with high ceilings.

Â*From the ones that I have seen, the floors are solid and lower down,
with a step into the kitchen, while the rest of the house has
suspended floors. Often there is a cellar under the main house, but
not under the original build "extension".

I recognise that as common in Georgian houses (where the kitchen was the
servants' domain to be kept apart from the main house) but not in the
far more common terraces of Victorian houses for workers.

Common around here, but just normal terraces not designed for servants -
even the small, workers' ones.

Just a couple of examples.

https://tinyurl.com/y2yfr8sw

2nd house used to belong to my mother's parents.

https://tinyurl.com/y5n6or3p

No. 9 used to belong to my father's parents.

SteveW