Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Gas release valve?

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 22:10:54 -0000, Tim+ wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 20:26:21 -0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

On 11/03/2019 18:32, Martin Brown wrote:
On 11/03/2019 16:33, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 15:52:13 -0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 11/03/2019 15:46, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 15:28:57 -0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:

hat are those things you see in the middle of nowhere (in the UK at
least), a 10 foot high white pole with an orange roof-shaped lid
on top?

Hi-viz poles to allow the chopper to follow the pipeline route easily.

They're not just markers, I'm sure they can actually let off gas.

They are simple makers for the helicopter that checks the pipeline to
follow with its airborne leak checker. One of the high pressure
pipelines runs close to me. They also mark the no dig zone at the
roadside (permission required from the pipeline owner Ineos or Shell).

Are you sure? I looked at one once and I'm sure it had some kind of
valve in it to let gas out. When I asked someone at the time, I was
told that if it had let off pressure and ignited it, the bright orange
lid would have been blackened, signifying there had been a problem.

The main pipelines run at some insane pressures & they don't vent. The
estimate for the SPL at 100m if our pipeline was breached is 140dB.

https://www.sabic.com/en/about/ehss/sabic-uk-pipelines

The high pressure network represents a significant proportion of the
country's stored gas.

But is it usable?

Why do you think gasometers have nearly all disappeared?

I thought it was piped in from the north sea, Russia, whatever.

P.S. why did they always stink? Well the ones on Dock Street, Dundee did anyway.

Our reserves are now stored in the pipeline.

So presumably this pipeline is variable pressure?