Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Terraced Houses

On 14/03/2019 19:06, Robin wrote:
On 14/03/2019 18:51, DerbyBorn wrote:
Why is the bit that usually has the kitchen and small back bedroom at a
lower level than the rest of the house? Was it just cost saving or was it
to so with roof construction

I take it by "lower" you mean "lower ceilings".Â* And I've been led to
believe that results from the "back additions" being (a) not visible
from the road and (b) not where visitors were entertained.Â* Hence it
would have been a waste to build them with high ceilings.

From the ones that I have seen, the floors are solid and lower down,
with a step into the kitchen, while the rest of the house has suspended
floors. Often there is a cellar under the main house, but not under the
original build "extension".

SteveW