Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default Terraced Houses

In article ,
says...

I take it by "lower" you mean "lower ceilings". And I've been led to
believe that results from the "back additions" being (a) not visible
from the road and (b) not where visitors were entertained. Hence it
would have been a waste to build them with high ceilings.

Not in the house I grew up in. There was a deep step down into
the scullery and the doorway to the room above was where the
staircase turned through 180°.

You went along the landing to the rear of the house, then down
one step to a square intermediate landing with the door to the
back room facing you. There was another step down through the
doorway.

To continue descending you turned, in our case left, onto the
staircase that turned though 90° in three or four steps then
straight down to the hallway below.

--

Terry

---