jmagerl

Default Deck advice needed: Should I use Trex?

My swimming pool deck was 1/2 cedar and 1/2 pressure treated. THe pressure
treated part had carpeting on it until I couldn't stand the moss on it
anymore. I am slowly converting it to trex as things need repair.
My observations:
1)Trex does mildew and grow moss. It needs to be cleaned every 3rd year with
a broom and good deck cleaner.
2) I haven't seen much fading on the trex. Parts of my trex are 4 years old.
I was doing the gray trex.
3) The Cedar looks horrible compared to the Trex and after 12 years needs
replacing
4) The pressure treated looks better than the cedar but it too has a layer
of moss on it. I wouldn't have expected that with pressure treated.

Not only is this a swimming pool deck but I live in a forest (all nice and
humid) so the deck rarely drys out. hence all the moss.

"Dave K." wrote in message
I posted an earlier message about this, but didn't get many responses,
especially from owners of Trex decks. So I'll try again.

We're planning on having a deck built from either Trex or WeatherBest
composite decking.

I'm interested in hearing from people who have tried either of these two
products.

One contractor told us to avoid Trex because mold and mildrew grows on it
more than on other composite materials, and thus it needs to be cleaned

with
a mold or mildew remover 2-3x a year. However, Trex's Web site says as

long
as you hose down the deck periodically, and keep it clean from pollen and
other debris, then you won't get mold.

I'm also concerned about fading. We're looking at the light brown colors
that simulate the look of wood. Seems like both composite products say

they
will fade, but because the inside of the WeatherBest decking is the same
darker color as the outside, I'm guessing it won't fade as much as the

Trex,
which has a darker outer coloring and a lighter inside color. Which

product
will fade less, and how much do these products typically fade? And because
the WeatherBest is the same color throughout, I'm guessing it doesn't show
scratches as much ... is that correct?

Lastly, this deck will be high up, so we need a good, sturdy railing. We'd
prefer to have the railing match the decking and be made out of the same
material, but some contractors have told us that we should only use wood

for
the railings because the man-made composite materials are not sturdy and
durable enough. However, other contractors have said the Trex and
WeatherBest railing systems are much better now, and that they should work
find.

Any advice or suggestions as to which composite decking and type of

railing
you'd recommend would be appreciated -- especially from those who have

decks
made from either of these two products. Thanks in advance for your help!!

--
NOTE: Please delete the word "REMOVE" from my e-mail address when

replying.
This is a spam guard.