Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default LED bulb failure mode

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 14:34:23 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 13:07:25 -0400, Meanie wrote:

On 3/13/2019 8:57 AM, TimR wrote:
2 of 3 LED (60 w replacements) bulbs I put in a ceiling fixture on Feb 20th have failed. There is no heat trapped, it's a ceiling fan that has not run since it's winter. I write the date I put a bulb in with a sharpie so I can track, I'm suspicious of these predicted lifespans.

When I wiggle them I can get them to flash briefly. It doesn't seem to relate to how tight or loose they are screwed in.

Defective bulbs? I haven't had time to try them in another fixture yet but will do that, it could also be the socket.

The main issue with LEDs is not the bulb (diode) themselves, but the
driver. LEDs can last a lifetime but if a manufacturer uses cheap
drivers, they will die soon. Stay with quality brands and you'll find
these units may outlive you.

I went all LED about 2 years ago, about 20 bulbs. Haven't had a single one fail.

I started my switch-over about 5 years or more ago with some chinese
G10s which failed quickly and often.
I switched over to brand name stuff and have not had a failure since -
have the whole house except the bathrooms switched over to LED -
including the garage and yard-lights 4 4ft tubes, 4 par38s, 4
"tri-lights" 5 candelabra, and the rest standard bulbs or specialty
fixtures (integrated LED)

I've been slowly switching over the church - have replacedall the
basic incandescents - have a few floureschents and compact
flourescents that will be replaced with LED as they fail, and a few
Halogens that will likely remain halogen for the forseeable future as
they are halogen specific fixtures that I have not found LED retrofits
for. The 6 high-bay "compact" flourescents will be a challenge when
the time comes too - 400 watt Mogul base inverted with fan forced
cooling onthe ballasts - considering an adapter from single Mogul to 4
or 5 E26/E27 and just install regular LED bulbs but I don't need to
make that decision untill after we install the last spare (only one
has failed in 6 years and I managed to find 2 replacements at about
$115 US each - - -