Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default Concrete screws into breeze block

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 4:44:27 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/03/2019 14:12, PeterC wrote:

My first encounter with Thermalite was in the '70s. Hole, plug, screw, crack
running both up and down, through the mortar and the adjacent blocks. Hated
the stuff ever since.

I hate it too.

Even good plugs seem to need araldite to stop them spinning.

I have to hang a cistern on one such wall soon. nLast time I did this,
it was resin 6mm (IIRC) stainless stud 3.5" deep into the wall.

That requires perfect alighnment which I did with a bit of 2x4" wood as
a jig.

Not looking forward to doing it again. Wondering this time if to make up
a metal plate intermediate bracket...

Hanging radiators on thermalite blocks, I replaced some plasterboard with plywood (fixed with quite a few screw/plugs) and screwed the radiator brackets onto that.

Other trick if the bracket has more that one screw is to put then screws in at diverging angles. That way the pullout force is at an angle to the screws - you have a sort of "wedge" action.

On my extension I used the slightly denser 7N AAC blocks as the "normal" ones seemed SO flimsy.

Simon.