Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default car mechanic "garages".

On Wednesday, 13 March 2019 11:06:43 UTC, sm_jamieson wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 7:18:54 PM UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 09/03/2019 12:42, sm_jamieson wrote:

So where do I get my radiator fan changed for a reasonable price if I am not currently up to it ?

Fan , sensor or fuse?
On a modern car the fan doesn't operate unless required to stop the
engine overheating and/or air con is required. In this cold weather, and
for short journeys, the fan may not come on.

Having other servicing done it was reported that the fan was not coming on when engine hot. Dealer wanted 200 quid to replace the fan - I declined at the time.
Also fitted with air con only working when driving along.

The new fans can be had for 50 quid. The original fans on the fiestas were very poor quality with cheap brushes.

I have checked the fuse and the relay which are OK. I have not checked the fan itself since I'd have to jack up and crawl under to access the plug.
But these fans often fail, so less likely to be the control system.
I was not in a rush to fix but needs to be done before weather heats up.

I would do it myself but SWMBO is not keen (her car). You can get the radiator out from above if you disconnect some water hoses, but if jacked up properly is easy to change from below (according to YouTube).

There is some wiring loom clipped across the fan housing and all those clips will probably break so need replacing.

But I would expect part 50 quid, fitting, 1/2 hour, 50 quid, total 100 quid.

But I might just take it back to the dealer and pay the 200 quid.

Simon.

If it's an old clunker you don't need an engine fan, if it gets too hot in hot weather just put the interior heater on max temp max speed. IME it's only an issue when stuck in traffic in heatwave weather.

NT