Rex the Wrench

Default Lathe Ways

Consider shafts from a pair of matching hydraulic cylinders.
The piston ends of the shafts would most likely have a nice taper and
threaded stub that you could anchor to a stout plate or casting. On the
other end, if they had an eye or a clevis, you could mount them to
another plate or casting. Decide which end will hold the headstock, and
procede from there.

NOTE: I have never tried this. It just seems a simple way to get two
reasonably rigid and parallel way surfaces.

Rex the Wrench

Mark Forkheim wrote:
Hi all,

Well after reading the Gingery book and the Flemming book I am thinking of
building my own lathe. I figure that if I build it myself I get the lathe
that I want and can shell out the money as needed, instead of all at once.
It will also give me something to do, which is the most important thing for
me.

So my question is about the ways, the books show how to build "box" ways,
most commercial lathes have "v" ways. Are there any other types of ways to
make ways? What are some of the important features of a way that I shold
keep in mind if I try to design something? Are there any books out there
that have some theory about lathe building?

TIA
Mark Forkheim