Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacing a thermal fuse

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 12:22:39 +0200, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 12 Mar 2019 03:13:46 -0700, Mike
wrote:

On 3/12/2019 2:45 AM, micky wrote:
I have a little space heater with a burned out thermal fuse.

All the web hits for thermal fuses seem to be about big things like
clothes dryers.

At home I had a card with a selection of thermal fuses, but I never
knew what value I should use. The original one didnt' have a value
listed iirc. Or maybe getting hot made the number unreadable.

In addition, I was afraid to solder the thing in. The originals are
always riveted. I can't rivet. Can I solder?

Finally, I won't be able to buy replacement fuses at hardware stores,
will I? Just at a few online suppliers, unless I happen to be in the
same city where one of them is located?

You might consider the cost of a new heater in relation to the
cost of finding, acquiring, installing an unknown fuse.

I like to fix things, and I don't like to throw things away, So that
far surpasses the value of just buying a new one.

Assume you
fixed the cause of the failed fuse?

I wasn't here when it broke. But it's very clean inside. I'll take a
look at how it runs after its fixed, or maybe I'll jump the fuse for a
little while. I did bring a couple jumper wires.

I don't see any problem with shorting out that thermal fuse.
I am not saying it is not a problem.
I am just saying I won't see the fire trucks from my house.