Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Gas release valve?

Andrew writes:
On 11/03/2019 16:09, Roger Hayter wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

On 11/03/2019 15:46, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 15:28:57 -0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:

hat are those things you see in the middle of nowhere (in the UK at
least), a 10 foot high white pole with an orange roof-shaped lid on top?

Hi-viz poles to allow the chopper to follow the pipeline route easily.

They're not just markers, I'm sure they can actually let off gas.

They are simple makers for the helicopter that checks the pipeline to
follow with its airborne leak checker. One of the high pressure
pipelines runs close to me. They also mark the no dig zone at the
roadside (permission required from the pipeline owner Ineos or Shell).

That seems unfair; after a boring day mashing up roadside culverts and
the occasional fibre duct, a high pressure gas pipeline would be quite
an exciting find for JCB operator.

Somebody 'found' the underground fuel line when it ran through the
grounds of a large estate, and they dug down, tapped into it and
nicked loads of diesel.

Yeah, the pipeline company never bothers to measure how much product
enters and leaves the pipeline, so they'd never notice such a crime.