Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Can an IEC 309 plug fit onto 10mm2 SWA cable?

On 11/03/2019 21:07, wrote:

I have 20m of 10mm2 SWA already laid and buried between the garage
and a yard master shed.

One end of the SWA cable is currently outside the yard master shed
where it comes out of the patio at the bottom of the garden.

I had the idea of fitting a IEC 309 IP67 rated male socket onto the
yardmaster shed externally and then running a 10mm2 twin and earth
from this to a consumer unit within and also to fit a IEC 309 IP67
rated female plug onto the end of the 10mm2 SWA cable. The idea being
that I can plug the SWA cable into the external socket fitted on the
yardmaster.

Any particular reason you need this to be able to disconnect it in this way?

The other end would connect into a 45A cooker style switch in the
garage and then onward to a 32A Time delayed RCBO in the main house
consumer unit.

So can a IEC 309 female plug be fitted onto the end of a 10mm2 SWA
cable?

Not any that I have seen. You could do it with a transition box of some
kind to switch to a different cable type - but it would look pretty horrid.

IME an exterior surface mount JB on the outside of the building with the
SWA entering vie the proper gland on the bottom of the box, is an easy
way to connect a building. In some cases I use an external socket as the
JB.

--
Cheers,

John.