Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Gas release valve?

On 11/03/2019 16:29, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 15:56:52 -0000, Colonel Edmund J. Burke
wrote:

On 3/11/2019 8:27 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
What are those things you see in the middle of nowhere (in the UK at
least), a 10 foot high white pole with an orange roof-shaped lid on
top?* I gather they're to release excess gas from the mains and burn
it off, but why would that be necessary?* Surely they wouldn't put
more than the correct pressure in anyway?* Any excess could be
released at the source at the gas plant?* I've never known of one
actually operate.* I can't find a picture of one on Google as I don't
know what they're called.* Searching for pressure release just shows
domestic valves.

Everyone knows the tiny island nation is full of gas!

The USA is full of gas, we're full of petrol.* I find it amusing you
guys call a liquid a gas.

Except that American "gas" is short for "gasoline", whereas our "petrol"
is thought to be short for "refined petroleum".

SteveW