Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Fluorescent lighting

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

Yes whichever button I press the lift arrives.

Corse it does, but it will arrive quicker if you press the correct one.

In theory in an empty lift,

It has nothing to do with whether the lift is empty or not.

problem is this IS NOT the case with students using them.

Its even better with more people using the lifts at the time
you press the button. If say the lift is at floor 4 and you are
at floor 2 and you tell the lift you want to go up, the lift
wont stop at your floor if its heading down to a floor
below you, it will still go to the floor below you and
then come up to your floor later which means you
will get to the floor you want to go to quicker.

Whether it's going up or down it's best to get in with
the trolly forcing the students out and making them
walk a flight of stairs, otherwise you will be there for
far longer, usually I only use the lift when I know
studetns are in lecture rooms and labs. They are
usually out and roaming the college like zombies
in shaun of the dead on thre hour and sometimes
on the half hour.

All irrelevant to whether the lift needs to know in which
direction you want to go once the lift has let you in.

It's simialr to the pedestrian crossing buttons.

Nothing like it, those dont indicate which direction
you are going, just that you want to cross there.

and how does indicating you want to cross change anything ?

It tells the light system that you want to cross the ****ing
road and not just continue along the footpath, stupid.

They are there for show or rather to tell the users to WAIT.

They have no effect on the traffic lights.

Thats wrong too.

Look it up.

Dont need to. I know that particularly with intersections where
there isnt much traffic on one of the roads leaving the intersection,
the lights wont even bother to change at all to allow traffic to move
down that low traffic road unless it can see a car stopped in the lane
which is allowed down that road if the lights are green for that.
If a pedestrian shows up and wants the light to go green for them
to move the same way a car would, they need to press the button
because they car presence detector cant detect a pedestrian.

I know what they are meant to be for, they are to call the lift.

They are also to indicate to the lift whether you want to go up or down.

and whichever you press the lift will reach you.

But will reach you quicker at times if you press the right one.

Pressing both buttons makes no difference, everyone know that.

But pressing the correct button does make a difference.