Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Gas release valve?

"Commander Kinsey" writes:
On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 18:32:15 -0000, Martin Brown wrote:

The main pipelines run at some insane pressures & they don't vent. The
estimate for the SPL at 100m if our pipeline was breached is 140dB.

https://www.sabic.com/en/about/ehss/sabic-uk-pipelines

I did wonder how they could distribute all that gas at 1.1 bar. I guess there's a lot of complicated valves somewhere to change the "voltage" as it were? Do they ever fail and put high pressure into the final piping? I dread to think what would happen if the "insane" pressure got into your boiler.

There are pressure reducing meters at pretty much every point-of-use which
reduce the line pressure to a pressure compatible with standard appliances;
you may notice that some meters have a much smaller inlet pipe than the outlet
pipe (e.g. commercial premises) due to the need to for more volume at the
lower pressure.