barry martin

Default Light Fixture Will No

IM I've got to practice more with my DVOM. Usually when there is a
IM problem like that I've used the (old) analog meter, I guess
IM partially because it is old (won't feel so bad if I fry it or
IM drop it) and because I know a DVOM can give false readings.
IM
IM IMHO, the biggest problem *by far* with digi meters is the
IM tendency for the user to overlook the (usually) tiny little
IM lightup of "mV" when they're taking a voltage reading.
IM People think they have 45 or 60 -volts- while they're actually
IM seeing a (normal) small amount of milivolts.
IM
IM Not necessarily saying that's *you*, by any means!

laff No, not me!!! gg Good point on overlooking the 'mV' detail.
I've sort of developed a (for lack of a better term)
"logical/illogical" thought process. If I were to test a light on a
120v circuit I'd expect around 120v when there is power present and 0
when not. Anything else is "not logical", especially 45 or 60 volts.
(We're discounting dimmers, etc., here.) Also if there really was ~50
volts present with an incandescant bulb the bulb should be partially
on. The 'logical' thing to do is to check for a reading error. ...Of
course part of the 'problem' is the newbies haven't had time to
learn/experience these truisms.

Must admit the first time I used an autoranging DVOM it scared me a
little: wha'd'ya'mean I plug the probes into 120vAC after testing a
9vDC battery and it 'knows' and won't fry?!

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Don't frown. You never know who is falling in love with your smile.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *