Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Holding a pole up with only one cable?

Yes back in the old days you could often see men in vans going around
tightening up these cables. I assume the wire that ran between poles also
had some kind of steel component to make sure it had the strength.
As for chimneys etc, theat is a whole other issue.
Sounds a bit like a bodge!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 10/03/2019 13:44, Commander Kinsey wrote:
My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a
supporting cable, but only one. Obviously the wind doesn't always come
from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and
the prevailing wind here is SW). Same thing is observed on telephone
poles. Any explanation? Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so it's
always leaning one way?

With phone and electric poles the strainers oppose the net force of the
cables, whether it's the end of a run or a sharp corner.

Bill