Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Holding a pole up with only one cable?

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 01:26:11 -0000, Dean Hoffman wrote:

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 20:45:31 -0000, Robin wrote:

On 10/03/2019 13:44, Commander Kinsey wrote:
My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a
supporting cable, but only one. Obviously the wind doesn't always come
from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and
the prevailing wind here is SW). Same thing is observed on telephone
poles. Any explanation? Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so
it's always leaning one way?

Are you sure it's a cable and not a rigid rod/pipe that braces the flue?

I can't see from this far away. Are you suggesting it can take a force
in more than one direction? Even if it can, it would only be push and
pull, not sideways.

Maybe there is a second solid brace you can't see. That would
make a triangle.
Those are pretty solid.

If there's anything else it's under the roof tiles.