Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Holding a pole up with only one cable?

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 20:45:31 -0000, Robin wrote:

On 10/03/2019 13:44, Commander Kinsey wrote:
My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a
supporting cable, but only one.* Obviously the wind doesn't always come
from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and
the prevailing wind here is SW).* Same thing is observed on telephone
poles.* Any explanation?* Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so
it's always leaning one way?

Are you sure it's a cable and not a rigid rod/pipe that braces the flue?

I can't see from this far away.* Are you suggesting it can take a force
in more than one direction?* Even if it can, it would only be push and
pull, not sideways.

Maybe there is a second solid brace you can't see. That would
make a triangle.
Those are pretty solid.