Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concrete screws into breeze block

On Sunday, 10 March 2019 21:55:51 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 10/03/2019 18:48, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 10 March 2019 16:17:05 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 10/03/2019 03:12, Bill Wright wrote:
On 09/03/2019 13:57, Michael Chare wrote:
Do concrete screws grip properly when inserted into breeze block, or
will I have to use a rawlplug?

Is it a breeze block or something softer like Thermalite?

Bill

There is breeze block, made from some sort of industrial clinker, but
not since about the 1950's. Then there are concrete blocks which come in
various densities although I think "medium density" is the one found
most often in domestic situations. IIRC high density is recommended
below ground level. Then there are the lightweight blocks like
thermalite. Easily recognised by their weight and the fact that they can
almost be scratched with a thumbnail.

Breeze block could be quite difficult to drill.

Concrete screws should be fine in medium density concrete. They won't
have much strength in thermalite.

Lightweight blocks now are AAC.

NT

AAC?

Autoclaved aerated concrete

They get their properties from the glass spheres formed from Pulverised
Fuel Ash from coal fired power stations. Presumably they are still
mining the lagoons at closed UK plant, but will we end up importing it?