Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Bill Wright[_3_] Bill Wright[_3_] is offline

Default Holding a pole up with only one cable?

On 10/03/2019 14:49, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 14:10:55 -0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 10/03/2019 13:44, Commander Kinsey wrote:
My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a
supporting cable, but only one.* Obviously the wind doesn't always come
from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and
the prevailing wind here is SW).* Same thing is observed on telephone
poles.* Any explanation?* Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so
it's always leaning one way?

With phone and electric poles the strainers oppose the net force of the
cables, whether it's the end of a run or a sharp corner.

Ah, that makes sense.* So in a straight line the pole is ok, but on a
corner it's getting yanked too much one way.

I think in my neighbour's case, as the chimney comes through the roof,
there isn't room to attach a wire anywhere else, I suppose he might have
something else inside the roof counteracting it.

Sometimes chimneys are guyed or otherwise braced only to prevent them
falling in the direction that would be most dangerous or destructive.

Bill