Default How to get metal marks off of ceramic tile.

Chris J... wrote:
I've got white ceramic tile in my kitchen, and recently
some relatives with young children came to stay for a short visit.
I tried to "child proof" and put any potential dangers out of reach,
but being a non-parent and not good around kids I didn't foresee all
risks. The kids (age six and eight) found my snow cleats (pointed
steel cleats I strap on my shoes for working in snow and ice) and
decided that ceramic tile made a fun substitute for ice. Result? a few
chipped tiles and a whole bunch of long shiney metal marks all over
the tiles.

Are you sure the cleats were steel? Could they be aluminum? I'd be
inclined to try a cleaner specific for the type of metal. Leave the
muriatic acid alone ) Lots of glazes have metal in them, so mebbe the
metal bonded with that. Try toothpaste? Straight Dawn dish detergent
and a 3M scrubber? They used to use 3M for polishing stainless, so it
may take off the metal residue. Pumice or rouge? What was yer cousin
doing while his kids trashed your house?