SQLit

Default Drywall doesn't meet ceiling?

"Jennifer" wrote in message
om...
I spent a large part of last weekend stripping wallpaper and removing
crown molding and chair rail from my dining room. I was surprised to
find that the top of the drywall is about an inch and a half short of
meeting the ceiling in that room. From a redecorating perspective,
it's not that big a deal since we'll be installing pressed tin
ceilings with a cornice, so the gap will be covered again, but I've
never seen this before.

The ceiling gives a little when I push up on the edges, but seems
sturdy in the middle; the whole ceiling doesn't push up.

Is this common? Is it a sign of poor construction? Is it something I
should rectify? Does anyone know if there's any kind of insulation
value lost from having it this way?

TIA for any opinions/information!

--
Jennifer

It was quite common in homes that were just an inch taller than standard
8-12 foot ceilings. I remember doing a home with the gap on the bottom. Home
owner was torqued but it was allowed by the local authorities at the time. I
would cut thin strips of drywall and install them. At least fire tape them
for a good seal. Check the insulation before installation of the drywall. If
there is none, you might consider sprayed foam in the walls. I had my block
home done in Tempe 3 years ago. What a difference it made. Exterior walls
only, including the garage, 1925 square feet, just under a grand.