Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley Rob Morley is offline

Default car mechanic "garages".

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 04:42:11 -0800 (PST)
sm_jamieson wrote:

Well there a

1. Chain garages like Formula 1, ATS, Halfords, Quickfit, etc. These
do standard jobs (brakes, MOT, service, etc.) They employee
semi-skilled mechanics.

2. Dealers, who will obviously do everything for particular range of
cars, but are expensive for most jobs (although servicing seems
reasonable value).

3. Backstreet garages who will do almost anything, but would you
trust them ? I would, if I was friends with someone there.

4. DIY. Well, my back is not so good.

So where do I get my radiator fan changed for a reasonable price if I
am not currently up to it ?

I hate letting anyone else work on my cars because for a long time I
did all my own stuff, but bad backs and knees being what they are, and
lack of a covered work area, I've had to pay to get stuff done recently.
My first car I used to take to a back-street guy that my dad used.

I'd trust the backstreet guy to fit a fan as long as it's really just
the fan motor that's the problem, although you may find it comes back
with broken or missing trim clips/screws - that's going to a problem no
matter who does it IME.
For more advanced diagnostics I once used a mobile guy who was really
on the ball, told me how to do the repair and was very reasonably
priced.
Halfords I'd avoid OTW, although we do get MOTs done there because it's
near and you can book online. I've found my local National Tyres
pretty good for brakes, exhausts etc, shame they don't do MOTs, but IME
all the chains will vary from branch to branch. I used to know someone
who worked at Kwik Fit, and the stories he would tell ...
I've never used a main dealer - always had older low-value cars or
classics.