Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Fridge light upgrade.

On Sat, 09 Mar 2019 10:37:40 +0000, T i m wrote:

On Sat, 09 Mar 2019 08:27:41 +0000, Scott
wrote:

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 21:38:56 +0000, T i m wrote:

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 16:14:28 +0000, Scott
wrote:
snip

So ... if you don't have a freezer compartment, you aren't likely to
use the lamp as some form of heater?

No, I understood that the compressor stopped running below the minimum
ambient temperature affecting the whole operation of the fridge, just
that the freezer compartment was the most conspicuous example.

PS see https://howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=99803

And does this still relate to just fridges, or fridge freezers (with a
single thermostat / compressor)?

I honestly don't know. Mine is a fridge freezer but the light is in
the fridge compartment. I assume the same principle applies to
fridges and freezers as both are doing the same job.

I think the issue is limited to fridge freezers or fridges with
freezer boxes and that only have one compressor / thermostat
controlling both. eg, If the fridge is in an environment where it's
already below the normal working temperature (a cold garage in the
winter), the stat (in the fridge) wouldn't call the compressor to run
and so the freezer (/box) would therefore defrost as *it* needs to be
at a much lower temperature (or summat). ;-)

We need someone who knows about thermodynamics. Anyone out there?

I think it's more to do with the fridge / freezer and compromise of
design (when used in extreme conditions).

Thanks. It sounds like you know more about it than I do. I am
relying on user experience.