Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K.. Jim K.. is offline

Default Rubberised coating removal

Peter Parry Wrote in message:
On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 11:34:46 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

Peter Parry Wrote in message:
On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 21:49:12 +0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Mar 2019 21:42:32 +0000
Peter Parry wrote:

I've removed this vile stuff from a few cameras and binoculars as well
as plastic (computer mice) using White Spirit. Doesn't harm plastic
and a microfibre cloth with copious amounts of white spirit and
patience works well.

I've done that but it makes me feel that a better solvent would reduce
the amount of scrubbing required.

The problem is finding a solvent which doesn't dissolve everything
else as well as the coating. The ones I tried were acetone (pretty
useless on the rubber but turned many other plastics into goo).
Isopropanol (little or no effect on the coating but safe on almost
everything). Ethanol and Methanol - as for Isopropanol. Ether (quite
effective but difficult to source and for use outdoors only. Methylene
Chloride (removed the coating but also the various thermoplastic
substrates and again, only use outdoors). White Spirit (removed the
coating more easily than I had expected when used with microfibre
cloth and pretty harmless to other plastics etc. )

Eventually I settled on the white spirit as being benign as far as
user and various substrates were concerned but also quite effective at
removing the goo after leaving it covered in a rag soaked in white
spirit for half an hour and then attacking it with a microfibre cloth
soaked in white spirit. The soft rubber coating certainly didn't come
back afterwards.

ave

How long did you leave it?

Only about 30 mins as I recall.

I meant before you declared it a "success"...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/