George E. Cawthon

Default Tree stump removal with rock salt?

Your friend gave you very bad advice, rock salt would in fact slow
down natural deterioration. What you want is for the wood to
deteriorate quickly and you use Ammonium nitrate. Drill lots of 1
inch diameter hole 6 or more inches deep (1 every square foot of
surface), and fill them with the ammonium nitrate, then wait several
years for it to rot away. Or wait one year and burn the stump, but
that's probably not an option in your community.

Arthur Davis wrote:

I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this work
and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter stump?
TIA, Art.