Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Rubberised coating removal

There have been a lot of threads on this stuff in various groups recently
and I've not seen any consensus on what to do.
If it is just a coating then it probably does have a solvent if you can
identify what the paint is.
I would however suggest that also you check up on the speaker units
surrounds cones and suspension, as many speakers of a similar age seem to
be almost write offs due to the plastic going hard, or falling to bits.
Also be aware that if you create any dust from removal of the coating its
going to be bad news for speakers.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim+" wrote in message
We have some Kef speakers (cast alloy construction) that had that silky
rubber coating. Needless to say this coating is a ghastly sticky mess.

We're using acetone at present but wondering if there's a better solvent
remove this horrid stuff. Not too worried if it removes the underlying
paint as some has come off already.

Wondering about petrol but not the nicest stuff to work with...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls