Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Danger - apprentice at work

Many years ago, we had Cold Shield ally double glazed windows fitted. Most
were well made with big rivets holding eye handles on, but the bathroom was
what one might call the black pea in the pod.
One day I closed it, this was about three months into the use, and as I
rotated the handle the whole piece holding it to the window came off and you
could see in this case the rivets were nowhere near long enough to give a
fixing. Calling the company back they had a look at all the others, which
was quite difficult to do with them fitted, but it turned out it was the
only one like that. Of course they could not refit the old handle for
reasons I never did understand, but when they fitted a new one the style is
not quite the same as the others.
So, double glazing weirdness is nothing new. This was around the start of
the 1970s. I remember it well. The windows are still intact though one has a
tiny crack in one corner and its seal has broken. I have had conflicting
advice about replacement glass, some say the wider spaced units are made
with redesigned clip in outward facing strips, others say its false economy
, get new pvc ones due to the blocking of the cold in the frames now used.
However I'm not going to rush changing them!

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Nick Odell" wrote in message
On 06/03/2019 18:46, Alan J. Wylie wrote:

I found this sliding patio door lock fitted on the house I've just
bought.

https://rfvt.org.uk/tmp/apprentice.jpg

Brilliant!

If you own a striped jersey and a balaclava and fancy earning a bit of
cash with a night-time job, perhaps you could ask the double-glazing
company where else they've fitted these patio doors?

Nick