Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jac Brown Jac Brown is offline

Default Danger - apprentice at work

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 08:57:01 +1100, "Jac Brown"
wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 19:39:21 +0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Mar 2019 18:46:07 +0000
(Alan J. Wylie) wrote:

I found this sliding patio door lock fitted on the house I've just
bought.

https://rfvt.org.uk/tmp/apprentice.jpg

I wonder if it would otherwise be possible to lift the door out of its
track (and off a normally positioned bolt).

My thought too. Useless as a conventional lock, but it might prevent a
burglar levering the sliding door up off its track, a not uncommon
method of forced entry with earlier patio doors, I believe.

Doesn't work with mine which are from the very early 1970s.
The standard lock has a great big 12mm roughly pin that is
fixed into the fixed frame which goes into a hole in the moving
part of the door and is gripped by the lock when its locked.
That stops you lifting the door when its locked.

We're not talking about your door, Rod, but about the OP's door.

But its likely that the OP's door lock works the same way.

If someone thought it necessary to put such a lock on the
OP's door,obviously they thought it could be levered out.

Or they didn't have a clue about how the OP's door lock works.