Old March 7th 19, 06:47 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Engl valve amp disaster

wrote:

the standby switch opening the cathode path to ground makes me nervous.

Maybe the switch arcs when it opens.

I'd find a different way to put the amp in standby or at least put
a snubber cap across the switch.

Maybe wire a switch in series with R74 and let the negative grid bias
go way up to cut the tubes off.

** A switch in the supply to the output tube's screens works well - assuming beam tubes or power pentodes are in use.

Only a few mA need be switched at idle and no electros to discharge.

...... Phil