Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default Network access point recommendations please

JoeJoe wrote:
Now looking for a better device: Dual band, 300 (at least, 450 ok too),
cheap and reliable. Plug in an forget. Power and network are available
nearby.

For the gold standard of pro-sumer kit, look at Ubiquiti
https://www.ui.com/products/#unifi

or Mikrotik:
https://mikrotik.com/products/group/...ome-and-office

They both have weatherproof versions. Ubiquiti is slightly more
'enterprise', expecting an additional server to run the controller software
(either a box they sell or a Java app you can run on a local machine). I
think the Mikrotik kit is more freestanding with a web interface.

They also support multiple APs, so you can just buy another if you don't
have coverage from one unit.

Many support PoE so you can mount it in the 'right' place and just run
ethernet to that point. They come with a PoE injector so you just need
power somewhere near the other end of the ethernet.

Not the cheapest, but good for a rock solid connection. I'd say it's night
and day over our previous Asus wifi router (which was itself a lot better
than our previous TP-Link).

Theo