John Hines

Default Copper pipe sizing. Is bigger better?

(Paul J) wrote:

I am ready and about to buy materials for the repiping from galvanized
1/2" to copper ?", but what size to use? I would like to go with 1/2"
type K but that takes up more inside diameter then M and L. Should I
go with 5/8" K, 3/4" K or just not be worried about the inside
diameter because it is a very small difference? Then again the
galvanized pipe probably has only an 1/8" openning anyway from all the
years of crap in it.

Use type "L" copper, it doesn't kink up when installing as easily as
"M". "K" is for real heavy duty uses, not home plumbing.

A 1/2" pipe is good for a single fixture (slightly more), and 3/4" is
good for like 3. If your faucet is a long way from the hot water, a
smaller supply line will supply hot water faster.

I'm replumbing my 50 year old house with 3/4" and 1/2" type "L" copper
and am happy so far.