Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan J. Wylie Alan J. Wylie is offline

Default Danger - apprentice at work

Nick Odell writes:

On 06/03/2019 18:46, Alan J. Wylie wrote:

I found this sliding patio door lock fitted on the house I've just
bought.

https://rfvt.org.uk/tmp/apprentice.jpg

Brilliant!

If you own a striped jersey and a balaclava and fancy earning a bit of
cash with a night-time job, perhaps you could ask the double-glazing
company where else they've fitted these patio doors?

I think it was fitted some time after the original installation. There
is a lock built into the handle. The house was previously occupied by an
elderly gentlman, and judging by the pile of large print black on yellow
bumph sent by the council that was left behind, e.g. on smoke alarms, I
am inclined to assume that it was the result of some scheme to provide
work experience by fitting locks.

Many years ago, after my mother had her back door kicked in, a young lad
was sent around to fit (badly) a couple of bolts.

--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience