Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Recommendations digital bathroom scale

On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 3:45:29 AM UTC-5, Rod Speed wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message
On 3/3/2019 6:12 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
Mike wrote
Andy wrote

Looking for recommendations for a digital bathroom scale. Thanks

Do you want any of the bloated features beyond displaying your weight on
a screen?
If you want more, that should be your guide.

One thing I discovered too late is that your scale should have a display
big enough that you can read it without your glasses...

Not even possible for me, it would have to have
the screen inches from my nose to do that.

remembering that you'll have the same scale 20 years from now and your
eyesight probably won't be getting better.

But if it loads the weight into your phone and the
better ones do now, you can read it there or get it
to announce your weight even if you have managed
to wank yourself completely blind by then.

My $2 garage sale scale displays all manner of crap like BMI.

Mine too.

Why do I care?

So you know that you are morbidly obese and you need to
stop shovelling so much food into your mouth every day.

My experiments suggest that, for my scale, the BMI number is more
dependent on how moist your feet are than how fat you are.

Then you now know why someone binned it and got $2 from you for it.

The BMI mine says I have is just what I calculate from my height and weight.

For most of us, the scale does one thing. It tells us to put the padlock
back on the cookie jar if the number is too big.

And the BMI is the best measure of too big.

BMI is certainly a metric. Good to know it once. Once you know it, weight
is sufficient for management.

Not if you are trying to get back to the best BMI range it isnt.

You just admitted that you're incapable of remembering what your "ideal"
BMI range is! You can look it up once, anyone that gives a damn looks
it up once and remembers it. You need a scale to tell you. ROFL
Like Mike said, if you're 5-10, you look it up once, you know and then
all you need is your weight. You need a scale to tell you and then you
come here and lecture us about scales, diets, weight loss and everything
else?

ROFL

And then there is the whole discussion about how useful BMI is anyway.
It's widely recognized as just a quick starting tool, not a holey grail
and it can be inaccurate for very physically fit people with lots of
muscle mass, eg bodybuilders.

I suggest that a blood test for sugar and cholesterol might be better
indicators overall.

You're wrong, because morbidly obese BMI precedes
the fact that its killing you showing up in a sugar test

And you need a scale to tell you that you're at morbid obesity or overweight
to such an extent that it's jeopardizing your health, which is long before
morbid obesity? Moron. The rest of us can tell by looking in the mirror.