Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default suitable material for replacement handle for a turner

On 05/03/2019 09:53, Jon Fairbairn wrote:

I have a slotted turner (cookery) with a thin stainless steel
blade, which I really like, but the handle is made of a plastic
that bubbles and swells if you rest it on the side of the pan
(or get it too close to the flame or similar).

Id like to replace the handle, but that requires a material
that:

* is D-I-Y workable
* has low thermal conductivity
* resists exposure to high temperatures
* is dishwasher proof

any suggestions?

Yup. You probably want a cold cast resin of some sort.

Oven cured.

Being a bit of a hand worker I'd use car body filler to make a
lumpenhandel and then file it down to whatever shape is acceptable.
Then a pigmented coat of polyester over the to and polish to a nice finish.

Unfortunately the brief research I did suggest that temps over 100C
might be the end of polyester resins so epoxy rears its ugly head.

Possibly your easiest route to one of those with a suitable pignented
filler in might well be Milliput.

As with all epoxies, mix exatlyly identical quantities really throughly
and stove the final thing in an oven at around the 100°C-120°C mark for
much faster setting and much harder result.

Milliput can be sanded and polished once set for a pro finish.