Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Recommendations digital bathroom scale

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 1:22:01 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 3/4/19 10:33 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

If you're morbidly obese, you don't need any scale or test
to tell you that.

Just as true with the obese. Look at the belly, stupid.

That may not work, since it changed gradually, and you adapted. Also,
some people have irrational beliefs about their bodies (like a 90-pound
person who thinks he's too fat).

The bigger problem is people know it and just don't care.

Some do care but can't fix the problem anyway.

A guy I grew up with is morbidly obese, 100+ pounds overweight.

Mate of mine who I have known for 50 years is much more morbidly
obese than that. They couldnt even weigh the ****er down the
hospital, they had to use the scales in the packing shed.

He was diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago.

Mine was diagnosed decades ago.

You'd think that would shock him,

It doesnt for most, because its so common now.

but instead he was nonchalant, telling me that it's not a big deal,
they have medicines to control your blood sugar, yadda, yadda.

Mine was so obese that he had to go on a crash liquid
diet so he could fly to the US for a holiday and even
with that barely made it onto the plane weight wise.

He has a bag of about 8 different prescriptions he's on
now, he refuses to cook, and eats God knows what.

Mine was always into cooking and that was always
the main problem. The bugger got me into doing
my own bread in a bread machine by bringing one
fresh out of his bread machine round to my place.

But the bugger was notorious for wolfing the whole
damned loaf straight out of his bread machine drenched
in butter while hot and lots of other high calorie stuff.

And still had 3 full other meals every day, mostly home cooked.

Them and most of the rest of my mates used to head off
north in their RVs every winter and spend the winter in a
mobile home park playing some card game, swatting off
the midges and drinking themselves blotto every day.

On the trip there he was notorious for insisting on a rest
stop at one of the towns along the way where he would
storm the cake shop and buy all the cream puffs they
had and when no one else was interested, wolf the lot.

He got so bad that whenever he ended up in hospital,
which was most months, they had to get the special
ambulance from the state capital 400 miles away
to get him from his house to the local hospital.

One time he managed to fall down behind his bed and it
took a crew of 10 of the SES to get him on his feet again.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Emergency_Service

His diabetes ended up as usual with them having to
cut off his toes as their died and went gangrenous,
then his foot, then the leg below the knee.

I was often the one that took him in his own car
to the the next major town to have his wooden
leg replaced. Another mate of mine did the trip
for the last wooden leg adjustment. When they
got back to his house, he couldnt get out of the
car and then his heart just gave up and he died.

He was by far the most obese person I have ever
known personally although I have seen more
obese in TV docos, mostly just before they died.